Habitat for Humanity of Michigan is the state support organization for the state’s network of local Habitat for Humanity affiliates. Our mission is to increase our capacity to build simple decent homes in partnership with people in need in the State of Michigan. HFHM is a non-profit 501c (3) organization established in 1993 to provide services to the 75 local affiliates covering nearly every county in Michigan. It is proud to be the first successful state support organization in the country.
With 75 affiliates, Michigan is one of Habitat for Humanity’s most active states in the nation. Nearly every county in Michigan is served by a Habitat for Humanity affiliate.
In 2011, Michigan affiliates produced 279 Habitat homes in partnership with families in need. As of 2010, Michigan affiliates have been building all homes using green and sustainable building techniques. Habitat homeowners in Michigan pay millions of dollars in local and state property taxes.
Since 1982, Habitat for Humanity has produced over 3,900 homes in Michigan, providing some 16,000 individuals with decent, affordable housing. The approximate market value of these houses is more than $300,000,000.
Michigan is also home to more than 40 Habitat for Humanity ReStores. These stores are run by affiliates with their primary mission to provide additional funding to support house building goals. ReStores sell everything from building supplies to household goods, at a reduced cost, allowing Habitat another avenue to serve the low income community.
ReStores benefit the environment. By accepting and selling donated, usable items, Habitat ReStores help keep thousands of pounds of materials from going to landfills. Habitat ReStores accept donated materials from building contractors, manufacturers and the general public. Donors receive a tax deduction.
THE MISSION OF OUR AFFILIATES
THE AFFILIATES’ GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- Demonstrate the love and teachings of Jesus Christ
- Advocate on behalf of those in need of decent shelter
- Focus on shelter by building and renovating simple, decent and affordable houses
- Engage broad community through inclusive leadership and diverse partnerships
- Promote dignity through full partnerships with Habitat homeowners and future home partners
- Promote transformation and sustainable community development
HOW HABITAT MAKES A DIFFERENCE
Habitat for Humanity homes are affordable, safe and healthy places for families to live, grow and thrive. Habitat Michigan can meet physical accessibility needs and are energy efficient –– allowing a cost savings in monthly utility bills.
Habitat for Humanity of Michigan serves families by helping increase capacity, resources and support for the 76 affiliated Habitat organizations located throughout Michigan. We offer support for education, training, financing, fundraising, and affordable mortgages. This intensive work helps families develop the skills and financial tools to be successful homeowners.
According to a study conducted by Davenport University, the work of Habitat for Humanity has proven to make a real difference in the lives of Habitat partner families:
- 68 percent of families report an increase in their income
- 25 percent of families report better grades in school for their children
- 23 percent of families report less sickness
- 58 percent of families report less family conflict
- 40 percent of families report going on to obtaining additional education.
Habitat for Humanity works! Those who volunteer and support Habitat for Humanity of Michigan and its affiliates are making a real difference in the lives of our citizens.